Because each blogger suggests different forum software. In fact, many ones do not try any forum software. So we can’t choose the right one at the beginning.
Moving your threads and users from one forum to another forum is not easy. So I decided to write this post to provide better guidelines for your online forum.
1. XenForo – A better choice for Web Developers.
XenForo is the best one to design community forums.
- It provides many add-ons
- The large community has many developers to solve problems.
- Fully SEO friendly design ( They designed theme using CSS sprites & minimum amount of .js & CSS files)
- Responsive Theme.
- You can easily customize styles & designs in the admin panel.
- If you need to install your add-ons, you need to put each add-on file in your hosting folder(If it not contain .xml file only).
- Redirecting deleted forum URL’s is not easy.
- XenForo has many features. But it’s hard to learn at the beginning. Creating the menu’s need Add-ons. So it’s not suitable for beginners who not know web design.
2.vBulletin – suitable for ordinary users & designers
- User-friendly admin panel.
- Now available in responsive web design.
- Many old forums running under vBulletin. So they already solve any kind of problem.
- Many themes are now available for vBulletin.
- You can’t get additional support in theme, plugin, and style modification compare to XenForo.
3. IP.Board – Best for Newbies
- You can create various blogs in your forum.
- Attractive look.
- Default IP. The board theme is good. But if you need many IP. Board themes, they are premium.
- Compare to XenForo it does not have the best web developer community.
- It has some bugs. Some modes are not working.
4. phpBB (free) – Suitable for beginners
- Free forum software.
- Attractive phpBB themes are premium.
- Installing an Add-on is not an easy one. Each Add-on takes a lot of time.
- Making SEO friendly URL is a really hard one.
- You can’t easily make Facebook & Twitter logins.
5. MyBB – Best Free and opensource forum software
- Many Free and Best Themes, plugins available.
- Easy user interface.
- You can create your own Template.
- SEO friendly URLs.
- Responsive web design themes not available now.
- Proper SEO plugins not available.
- Some features are provided old Internet site looking.
6. Vanilla Forums – Best For Easy Administration
- Easily sign in using Facebook, Twitter, and Google login.
- Blog like look.
- Free Add-ons.
- It provides a question & answer site look.
- Sometimes it makes a lot of trouble.
Finally, if you want to build the best & SEO-friendly forums and you can spend money on that, use XenForo, vBulletin, or IP.Board. If you need free forum software use MyBB or Vanilla forums.